Monday, August 22, 2011

3 Hour Glucose Test

I failed my 1 hour glucose test.

On Saturday, August 20th I went to the Hospital at 7:30 a.m. to start my three hour test.  It was horrible.  I had to fast the night before.  The only thing that I could have was water.  So at 6:30 I get up, take a shower, and head to the hospital while Paul lays snoring in bed (butthead!!).

So 7:30 a.m. I report to Registration and then make the trek across the hall to my second home, the Lab.  They know me by name when I walk in the door.  For those of you who don't know, this is where all of my thyroid testing is done at every 6 months. To my surprise my favorite nurse was working, Morgan.  Everyone loves Morgan.  She's quick, gentle, and knows her stuff.  The first time I met Morgan she was in a poodle skirt and had a blonde beehive hair do that stood about 3 feet off of her head.  It Halloween in case you were wondering.
Morgan normally works afternoons so I was quite shocked that she was there.

So the testing begins.  For every blood draw, I had to pee in a cup.

At 8:05 the first blood draw went perfect.  She drew the first vial of blood, I peed in a cup and then she gave me that fantastic sugary drink...yeah rah another one!!  This one was orange flavored.  When I say orange flavored, I mean sickly sweet orange drink that had a hint of artificial orange flavoring to it.

At 8:35 the 2nd one, she tried from the same vein...no blood, no luck.  She moved the needle, nothing.  Pulled out and stuck me again in a higher spot, nothing.  Yeah three sticks in one arm so far and I still had 2 1/2 hours left.  So on to the right arm.  Perfect, no problems.  Back out to the waiting room I went.

At 9:05, I went back again and she tried the right arm again...no luck. Fantastic.  She said she was leaving my left arm alone since it was probably sore.  So the next options were my fingers.  Left middle finger first.  Back to the waiting room.  At this point, I was exhausted, hungry, dizzy and couldn't wait for it to be over and I still had 2 blood draws left.  Thankfully I had my phone, a book (which I finished), the tv in the waiting room which was playing cartoons for the other unfortunately sole who was going through the same test, and my lap top.

At 10:05, my left ringer finger.  Perfect.  No problems, it bled like crazy.  Back to the waiting room and luckily no more cartoons.  I have no idea what movie I was watching and didn't care.  Between Cora kicking, no food, and exhaustion...I was done.  Curled up in a hospital blanket trying to figure out how to put my 7 month pregnant body between two chairs to lay down.

Finally at 11:05 the last draw and final pee.  My right ring finger bled like crazy.  I stumbled to the bathroom, peed and was home free.  I drove home, and went to the basement.  Paul went and got Little Ceasars.  I ate and then crashed on the basement couch.  I was done.  An hour later I ventured upstairs and laid in bed.  I just laid there.  The whole day was just kind of bleh.

So here it is Monday as I'm typing this my fingers are killing me and I hope to God that I passed that test or that nothing went wrong, because I cannot and will not go through that again!!  I know I know, anything for my baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment