Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Labor and Delivery....already?

So this weekend was exciting...not!  It was scary!

Friday and Saturday evenings we went to the free concerts at Sellersburg Celebrates.  Obviously we walked around and ate some food too.

Saturday evening I went to bed with a little bit of pain.  I thought maybe Friday and Saturday had caught up with me, so I went to bed thinking the pain would be gone by the morning. ... Nope.

Sunday rolled around and the pain was worse.  So I relaxed in a warm tub and laid around until 11.  Then I woke Paul up.  The pain was worse and not going away.  We started our normal Sunday routine of going to Grandma Lenfert's to play cards.  Between texting my fantastic gyno Dr. Jill Green and my mom, they finally convinced me to call the OB on call.  So, I did and eureka, my OB was the one on call.  God had a hand in that one!  I left her a voicemail.

Needless to say, I made it through two games and told Paul we had to go.  I was either going to go lay down or we were going to the hospital.  When we got in the car, Dr. Allen called and said that it sounded like round ligament pain but if it was getting worse, to go to L & D at the ER.  So, off to Clark Memorial Hospital we went.  I have to say, that was the shortest wait time ever!  You go in a separate room, and then tada, you are upstairs hooked up to monitors!

I had some of the most amazing nurses, techs, and well staff there.  Joann came in and hooked me up to the baby monitor and the monitor to watch my contractions.  Cheryl was my nurse.  She was awesome!  She started my IV, got in touch with Dr. Allen, gave me pain meds, and food.  Apparently I was having contractions and didn't even know it.  Wow!  Yup you read that right.  Cora was having a good time kicking, rolling, and being her usual silly self but I never noticed the contractions...only the pain in my lower left abdomen. 

They started me on morphine, it dulled for about five minutes.  So they gave me a little bit more morphine, nothing.  So then Cheryl called Dr. Allen again.  They gave my graham crackers, crackers, ice chips and juice.  I was given a shot to stop the contracts, an antibiotic because they found blood and lucocites in my urine, and then was given 1 Percocet.  That was horrible.  I warned the nurses that it wouldn't stay down so they came prepared...and it didn't.  So that was a bust.  So back to the drawing board.  Cheryl called Dr. Allen again.  Rebekkah took over for Cheryl.  I was taken down to have an ultrasound to see if I had kidney stones or what was going on.  The fantastic shot to stop the contractions gave me the shakes.  I couldn't sit still for the life of me.  Cora wasn't happy either, she wouldn't hold still for mommy either.  Although she was quite comical for the ultrasound.  She pulled a foot up to her face and was playing with it.  That made me smile even though I was in so much pain.  Mom and Dad came to the hospital to hang out with me so Paul could run some errands and get clothes in case we had to stay.  I was taken back up to L & D and given Tylenol 3 with more crackers.  I got to say Cora loved the honey graham crackers they gave us!

I was then admitted and moved to the 4th floor.  Paul came back, Mom and Dad left, I slept, and then Dennis and Kathy showed up and we played a few hands of cards.  They left a few hours later and I dosed on and off between having to make 9 million trips to the bathroom.  Paul and Cora were troopers.

Monday morning I woke up with my pain level at about 2.  My nurse was great, Elizabeth.  She is also our Prepared Child Birth Instructor.  It was pretty cool that we had a familiar face.  Around noon Dr. Allen came back and said it looked like a UTI.  She checked over a couple of things and said we are going to monitor you one last time and make sure the contractions have stopped.  If they have stopped, you can go home.  

I was released around 3 or so with an antibiotic and a follow up appointment the next day at Dr. Allen's office.  I took a 2 hour nap when we got home and didn't feel great but I was home with my puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment